Starting with this blog post, I will try to tell you the stuff I like and why. This is more of a personal chronicle, but I would strongly urge you to scan the source I mention here. These will include websites, youtube channels and obscure books. The people I love.
Starting today is a digital media subscription I took recently – The Ken Website subscription. It costed me Rs. 3,245 for an entire year. I have read about the founder Rohin Dharmakumar, when I was working in the startup space, dabbling in a startup media startup TheTechPanda. Things went differently, and I was out of it, but thanks to my good memory – I remember the names quite well. When I saw they were launching a digital media startup, I was one of the first ones to express interest. While The Ken formally launched in October 2016, I read their free piece and kept waiting. Ever since, they have sent me one email everyday – exactly at 08.05 am. I would have read hardly 10 pieces from them – until I subscribed. Now, the first thing I read is the article from The Ken, before I start my day. So, why did I subscribe?
- The cover letters that come in email everyday. Written by the author of the piece, they set an excellent tone and to me, it feels as if the author is sitting in front of me, and is now about to start their story telling. They have recently started weekend posts as well, and the first one is just tooooo goood.
- Well researched content and long form journalism. After you read the piece, you feel you have achieved something – it gives you that high, that sense of satisfaction. It’s very close to drinking a cup of Filter coffee 🙂
- No Agenda, No mud slinging and no hiding of Investors. I have seen them mention Vijay Sekhar Sharma as an investor everytime PayTM is mentioned.
- Narrow Categories and in depth coverage. They write on Technology, Business, Startups, Science and Health care. I love these guys for staying away from Politics.
- Consistent quality. It’s not easy to maintain the quality of the publication – when you are running purely subscription based and not showing me the nasty google ads everytime I come to your home. Recently, these guys became profitable and I was cheering for them from my home desk.
The Single most reason why I subscribed –
Reading The Ken makes me happy.
It’s has its place in the list of habits I like to build really long term. They have a free read every week, please read it for a few weeks – I promise you will be hooked, just like me.
Have a good day and keep rocking!