Whenever I have snake gourd at home – the usual recipes I make are a curry with coconut mix or a yogurt based chutney. As our dinners mostly comprise of chapati and a curry to go with – I was planning of experimenting with snake gourd recipe I preserved from Eenadu paper long time back. It took me around an hour to prepare the curry, but when I see my family enjoying the food – all my sweat in the kitchen is converted into happiness into my heart almost instantly.
Here you go for the recipe:
Snake gourd – Cut into round thick pieces, 2 cups
Tomato paste – 1 cup
Spices : Biryani Leaf – 1, cloves – 2, Black pepper – 4/5, Jeera – 1 tsp
besan flour – 1/2 cup
Masalas : Red Chilli powder – 1 tsp, Haldi – 1/2 tsp, Garam Masala – 1 tsp (Adjust according to taste)
Cashews – around 15, soaked in water for 1/2 hour and ground to a nice paste
Kasturi Methi – few strands
Onions – 2 big, finely chopped
Coriander leaves – for garnish
1. Pressure cook the snake gourd for 1 whistle only – the shape should be intact while cooked.
2. Take kadai, add a tbsp of oil and fry the cooked snake gourd pieces and keep aside.
3. Take some more oil, and add the spices mentioned above.
4. Add the chopped onion and once cooked well, add the besan powder and fry till the raw smell is gone.
5. Add tomato paste to this and let it boil.
6. Add all the masalas and let it cook for another 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the fried snake gourd pieces, cashew paste and kasturi methi.
8. Keep it in sim for about 3-4 minutes so that the curry mixes well.
9.Garnish with coriander leaves.
Have a good day and keep rocking!!