After yesterday’s successful recipe, i soaked yellow peas to make my favorite gravy curries. This is not exactly a new recipe, but i take the liberty and post it under recipe 2, because the main ingredient ( yellow peas) is used for the first time. I had a small debate with my mother in law regarding the curry preparation. I wanted to keep it like a curry, while she asked me to make gravy by grinding all the ingredients. I guess experience wins – i used her method and bang on – it was perfect!!
In fact, after soaking i didnt want to make curry because i wanted to make some chaat item. I resisted my temptation and just went ahead and made the curry. Glad i did. Without futher ado, here goes the recipe.
Preparation time : 40 minutes
Yellow Peas / Batani – 200 gms ( Enough for 4 adults)
Chopped onoin, Ginger Garlic Paste ( homemade is always better)
Chaat masala, Red chilli powder
For Gravy :
Onion big – 2
Tomato – 3 small/medium sized
Handful of soaked and cooked yellow peas
Pudina leaves – couple of sprigs
Cinnamon stick – 1 small piece, Cloves – 3
1. Soak the yellow peas overnight. The more soaking, the better.
2. Cook yellow peas with turmeric and hing for about 6 whistles. I noticed that the yellow peas remain intact in size, but become soft from inside. That’s why the curry looks really beautiful. If you have any doubt, just eat one cooked, and recook if necessary.
3. Add oil, and add tempering. Once jeera and mustard sputter, add onion and ginger garlic paste.
4. Meanwhile, blend all the items mentioned in “Gravy” without any water. add it to the cooked onion on the stove. Add salt, chaat masala and red chilli powder. Close the lid and let it cook for about 5 minutes, until the raw smell is gone.
5. Add the yellow peas, and let it cook for about 10 minutes. Garnish with coriander leaves ( i didnt, as i didnt have the stock at home.).
Points to note:
1. If you soak for less time, put it for more whistles.
2. The curry will have spicy taste. If you do not want – you can skip adding the chaat masala.
Have a great day and keep rocking!!